Saturday, August 2, 2008

Popcorn bags will catch on fire . . .

Thank you for posting your comments.

12 comments:

Dave said...

This is strange. The same thing happened to me. Same popcorn. Used the right microwave settings, but the bag started burning, which left a lot of smoke damage to the inside of my appliance. I tried it another time, but it was too scary. Side of the bag was black despite using the correct power and time. I live in the country and have decided to pop corn the old fashioned way, on the stove. I don't trust Con Agra on anything, much less this issue. Last year, it had to settle a $45 million dollar civil suit, admitting improper accounting practices. Plus, its Peter Pan Peanut Butter made a bunch of people sick. The company should be ashamed of not being more responsible with your burning bag.

Scott Grayban said...

I stay far away from any Con Agra products -- way to many problems with them that they won't own up to.

Since I live near farms I get all my stuff fresh instead of pre-packed with chemicals and burning bags.

slamrecords said...

This is so weird. I had a bag of Orville Redenbacher do the same thing but did not even bother. It was popped for the required amount of time and then the smoke and flames came. I threw the bag out in the back yard. Something should be done about this.

kawiracer8 said...

I literally just tried to pop a bag of the same popcorn and my apartment is now full of smoke and all my fans are on as I try to clear out the place. Has anyone tried t sue? I'm tempted, as the same thing happened when I tried a similar bag at work. Anyone else try to contact them about your fire-breathing corn?

Please let me know (kawiracer@yahoo.com)

spklr said...

We have a case of this stuff in my office for employees to enjoy. So far it has been a 'hit-or-miss' deal as to whether or not you will get any edible popcorn when making a batch. All of them burn to some degree, using the correct microwave settings. I just made one a few minutes ago which burned into a disgusting charred mass and filled the office with smoke. Anger!

Rob said...

We just had a bag of the kettle corn go awry. outside of the package was wet with what I assumed was the flavor/oil. When the bag started popping it looked weird like it was deformed. We were popping it on a ceramic plate and after about 2 minutes the plate exploded. It was quite loud, when we opened the microwave it was shattered to pieces. We reheat food on these plates all the time with no problems. Orville owes me about seven dollars for the plate and whatever the box of popcorn was. Glad it didn't burn down the house.

BURNT HANDS said...

I have 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my hand from the caremel flavored popcorn . They changed the instructions after it first came out . I followed the original instuctions , and the bag exploded right on my hands . When did they change the original instructions ? And why ? I need some legal represention .

BURNT HANDS said...

I have 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my hand from the caremel flavored popcorn . They changed the instructions after it first came out . I followed the original instuctions , and the bag exploded right on my hands . When did they change the original instructions ? And why ? I need some legal represention .

BURNT HANDS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BURNT HANDS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Koziol said...

Yesterday (August 17) I put a bag of Orville I've always ben a fan of Orville Redenbacher popcorn. After what happened to me yesterday (August 17) I'm beginning to be less of one. I, too, was a victime of the "fiery bag syndrome. I put a bag of the Orville Redenbacher natural popcorn into my microwave oven and pressed the popcorn button on it. After a bit, I was wondering what was taking so long for it to pop. I've recently popeed bags of their white cheddar and sharp cheddar microwave popcorn pouches and didn't have a problem. Well, when I turned around from the nearby chair that I was sitting on to see what the problem was, I saw smoke billowing out of the top of the microwave. I stopped the microwave and openend the door to it and was immediately engulfed with smoke that spread throughout the kitchen. As I removed the burnt bag of popcorn, I was gagging from the smoke entering into my mouth and then getting into my lungs. I dumped the still-smoking bag of popcorn into the trash and went into the living room. Partial smoke eventually made its way there too. I'm surprised the smoke detector alarm didn't go off with all the smoke there was. Later on when the smoke had subsided and I was able to make my way back into the kitchen I popped another bag of popcorn, this time going by the suggested time on the bag which was two-minutes-and-thirty-seconds. This bag also burned but not all of it. There was one large chunk where burnt kernels stuck together that was inedible but the rest of the bag was okay to eat, not great, just okay. Needless to say, i won't be eating anymore of it. The inside of our microwave had black residue on it but was able to wash off. Luckily, it still works. I would like to know just what kind of class action suit Con Agra thinks they can file? It's their product that isn't working right so they are responsible. They, obviously, don't want to be because they know how much money it would cost them. Being the "big 'bad' corporation" makes them feel that they can bully the consumer into being afraid to do anything about it. I say go out fighting. It's kind of ironic that the first part of Con Agra's name is "Con." Coincidence or omen? After what happened to me yesterday I'm definitely thinking the latter.

Tom Liotta said...

I had a dozen bags in a row burn through, often causing kernels to spit out all over inside. My wife said she had the same results. I kept trying to adjust timings to see if they were cooking too long, but I only managed to get far fewer kernels to pop.

After a lot of thought, a took a drastic measure -- I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

My wife regularly keeps a simple paper towel on the carousel dish. It came in handy when things like popcorn bags left a mess. It never caused trouble, so it didn't cross my mind until reading the instructions that said not to have anything else under the bag.

With nothing to lose, I pulled the paper towel and tried another bag. It worked perfectly. And every bag for more than a year now has been the same for me and my wife. No paper towel, no burn-through.

Simple.